Passenger car overall data
Special Author | Zhu Yulong
Editor| Qiu Kaijun
Let’s take a look at the overall passenger car data for the last week of 2022, from December 26th, 2022 to January 1st, 2023, a day later.
This week, the overall data and the data of various car companies are basically singing in harmony, ending perfectly. However, there are not many winners in the 2022 new energy vehicle market, and it is difficult for car companies to exceed the overall market’s almost doubled growth rate. Among independent brands, BYD is the biggest winner, while Aiways, Changan, and Geely lead in terms of growth rate. Among new forces, Tesla, Ideal, NIO, WmAuto, and Wanjie have performed relatively well, while joint venture brands have not shown significant improvements — it is not a happy reunion for all.
1) In the last week of 2022, the total sales of passenger cars were 652,000 units, a year-on-year increase of 23.6%, and a month-on-month decrease of 0.3%; the cumulative sales in 2022 were 20.21 million units.
2) As for new energy vehicles, sales were 163,700 units, a year-on-year increase of 53.1% and a month-on-month decrease of 10.1%; the cumulative sales in 2022 were 5.23 million units. This data also objectively reflects the impact of early impulse expectations brought about by the subsidy decline.
3) In terms of gasoline cars, sales were 488,800 units, a year-on-year increase of 16.2% and a month-on-month increase of 3.6%. Due to the 5% purchase tax subsidy expiring on January 1, 2023, the overall data for gasoline cars is currently high.
In other words, the data on terminal insurance on December is different from what we feel, which reflects the squeezing brought about by the policy expiration. I believe that next week’s data may be more similar to that of early November, which is the actual demand for personal car purchases. By the end of February, as China emerges from the impact of the epidemic, this data will slowly recover.## Key Brands of New Energy
According to the statistics of the new energy market, the top five brands in terms of sales volume are:
1) BYD: 55706 units sold this week, with a YoY growth of 192.4\% and an MoM growth of 7.8\%;
2) Geely: 10285 units sold, also a very high weekly sales record;
3) Changan: 9480 units sold;
4) SAIC-GM-Wuling: 8715 units sold.
5) The sales of Ideal Cars were up to 7566, with a YoY growth of 152.4\% and an MoM growth of 46.7\%, which indeed reflects a deep order backlog of Ideal Cars accumulated in the initial stage.
From the perspective of emerging electric vehicle companies and major traditional automakers, the data of Tesla is particularly surprising.
Looking at the data of Tesla, the rapid decline in December caught us off guard. Prior to this, there were both price cuts and a pre-emptive order backlog driving the sales of Model Y. However, we do observe that consumers have now become more rational towards Tesla.
Ideal’s cars, L9 and L8, have been positioned accurately to tap into the existing market demand.
Currently, ET5 of Nio Motors is the most popular model of its second-generation vehicles.“`
As the delivery bottleneck of XPeng G9 is solved, XPeng’s data repair is fast.
The last week of December really put a beautiful end to the Chinese auto market in 2022. The data for January, I’m afraid, will reflect the cruel reality.
This article is a translation by ChatGPT of a Chinese report from 42HOW. If you have any questions about it, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.